When: Thursday, February 18 - Sunday, February 21, 2016
Hot Spot: Barnard College, NYC
Deets: Now in its sixth year, the Athena Film Festival — a celebration of women and leadership — is an engaging weekend of feature films, documentaries and shorts that highlight women’s leadership in real life and the fictional world. The four-day festival, which includes conversations with directors and talent and workshops for filmmakers, has quickly established itself as one of the most prestigious festivals of its kind.
The festival will be held Feb. 18 - 21, 2016 in the heart of New York — at Barnard, the most sought-after women’s college in the nation. The Founding Sponsor of the Festival is Artemis Rising Foundation, Regina K. Scully, CEO and Founder.
Attracting a record audience of 4,000 film lovers and extensive media coverage from The New York Times to Entertainment Tonight Online to Variety, the 2013 festival screened 21 feature-length narratives and documentaries and 24 shorts/works in progress, and held 24 stimulating panels and discussions with directors, screenwriters and Hollywood stars. There were also workshops for filmmakers produced by the American Film Institute’s Directing Workshop for Women. Our first three festivals included:
- 2 Academy Award-winning films: Brave and Inocente
- 4 Academy Award-nominated films: Winter’s Bone, Poster Girl, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and The Invisible War
- Presentations and conversations: Activist Gloria Steinem, journalist Katie Couric, directors Debra Granik, Ava DuVernay, and Paula Van Der Oest, actor Greta Gerwig, industry exec Tom Rothman and the Sundance Institute’s Keri Putnam
- World, U.S. and New York Premieres: Granny’s Got Game; Women Aren’t Funny; Fast Girls; I Stand Corrected; and Mo: The People’s Politician
- Sneak previews: Hannah Arendt, Brave Miss World, Half the Sky, and Ann Richards’ Texas
Who You May Spot: Producers, Directors, Actors & Guests
Hint For The Average Socialite: For ticket and passes click here.
Exciting news! Our friends at the Athena Film Festival are offering our members a free ticket to selection of the incredible films taking place at this year's festival, February 18-21 at Barnard College. They are also offering 15% off additional tickets to workshops, master classes, and films! Learn more about the festival and claim your free ticket by visiting http://tinyurl.com/Athena16SpecialOffer.
The Athena Film Festival is the only major film festival dedicated to the depiction of women in leadership roles; now in its sixth year, our films feature courageous and audacious women who are making a difference in communities across the globe. The festival has a great lineup of feature films, documentaries, shorts, workshops, panels, master classes, and more! You can view the complete program at http://www.athenafilmfestival.com.