Chef Anita Lo with James Beard Award-Winning Pastry Chef Sherry Yard and James Beard Foundation President Susan Ungaro at the 26th anniversary of the James Beard Foundation’s Chefs & Champagne® at Wölffer Estate Vineyard in the Hamptons on July 23, 2016 | Photo by Mark Von Holden/Invision for James Beard Foundation/AP Images
Deets: On Saturday, July 23, the James Beard Foundation toasted Daytime Emmy and multiple James Beard Foundation Award–winning chef, author and restaurateur John Besh at its 26th annual Chefs & Champagne®. Besh, who also founded the John Besh Foundation, was toasted by more than 1,000 guests who attended the sumptuous benefit at the Wölffer Estate Vineyard in Sagaponack, New York. The Foundation’s tasting party and fundraiser featured flowing Champagne Barons de Rothschild, wines and ciders fromWölffer Estate Vineyard, and delicious tastings from a select group of more than 40 chefs.
The James Beard Foundation’s Chefs & Champagne® is considered to be the East End’s premier culinary summertime event. A silent auction consisting of fine-dining experiences, wines and spirits, cookware, and culinary travel packages raised over $75,000 to support the Foundation’s mission, educational and Impact Programs which include the annual Food Conference and Leadership Awards that help promote a better food system.
Carrying on its long tradition of supporting culinary education, the James Beard Foundation was proud to announce Evelyn Q. Grant as the recipient of the 2016 Christian Wölffer Scholarship and the ICC Intensive Sommelier Course tuition waiver. Established in 2006, the Christian Wölffer Scholarship assists students in their study of food and wine. Also in attendance was multiple James Beard Foundation Scholarship recipient Christina Cassel.
Chefs & Champagne participating chefs included:
· Chad Brauze, The Back Room, Park Hyatt, NYC;
· Andrea Bucciarelli, Sant Ambroeus, NYC;
· Brian Cheewing, Wölffer Kitchen, Sag Harbor, NY ;
· Christopher Cipollone, Piora, NYC;
· James Beard Award winner Tim Cushman, O Ya, Boston and NYC;
· Ben Del Coro, Fossil Farms, Boonton, NJ;
· Jay Ducote, Gov't Taco (opening in 2017), Baton Rouge, LA;
· Aaron Fitterman, Aretsky’s Patroon, NYC;
· Jeremy Ford, Matador Room by Jean-Georges, Miami Beach, FL;
· Tom Fraker and Marco Zapien, Melissa's, Los Angeles, CA;
· Eric Gabrynowicz, Restaurant North, Armonk, NY;
· Kerry Heffernan, Grand Banks, NYC;
· Will Horowitz, Ducks Eatery and Harry & Ida's, NYC;
· Michael Jenkins, Butter Restaurant, NYC;
· JBF Award winner Paul Kahan and Perry Hendrix, Avec, Chicago;
· Pastry Chef Jiho Kim, The Modern, NYC;
· Paul Kim, Ice & Vice, NYC;
· Anthony Lamas, Seviche, A Latin Restaurant, Louisville, KY;
· Matt Lambert, The Musket Room, NYC;
· Glenn Olsson and Marcus Widell, Swedish Culinary Summer, Sweden;
· Anita Lo, Annisa, NYC;
· Angie Mar, Beatrice Inn, NYC;
· Pastry Chef Alina Martell, Ai Fiori and Vaucluse, NYC;
· Lucero Martinez, Pampano, NYC;
· Dean James Max, DJM Restaurants, Multiple Cities, USA; Cayman Islands, BWI; andHarbor Island, Bahamas;
· Julian Medina, Toloache, NYC;
· Jonah Miller, Huertas, NYC;
· Marco Moreira and Sushi Chef Noriyuki Takahaski, 15 East, NYC;
· Jon Nodler, Baker Alex Bois, and Pastry Chef Sam Kincaid, High Street on Hudson,NYC;
· Damien O’Donnell, Harbor Bistro, East Hampton, NY;
· Pichet Ong, a.p.g (2017), NYC;
· Ralph Perrazzo, BBD's - Beers, Burgers, Desserts, Rocky Point, NY;
· Guy Reuge, Mirabelle, Stony Brook, NY; and Sandbar, Cold Spring Harbor, NY;
· Roxanne Spruance, Kingsley, NYC;
· Cédric Vongerichten, Perry St, NYC;
· JBF Award–Winning Pastry Chef Sherry Yard, iPic Entertainment;
As Chefs & Champagne’s guest of honor, John Besh joined the ranks of gastronomic giants such as Carla Hall, Martha Stewart, Thomas Keller, Wolfgang Puck, Emeril Lagasse, and Bobby Flay, who have all been fêted at prior events. Celebrated chef John Besh has dedicated his career to the culinary riches of southern Louisiana. In his restaurants, entrepreneurial pursuits, and public activities, Besh preserves and promotes ingredients, techniques, and heritage one dish at a time. He is the author of four cookbooks: My New Orleans (October 2009) and My Family Table (November 2011), Cooking From The Heart (October 2013) andBesh Big Easy (September 2015); as well as the host of two national public television cooking shows, Chef John Besh’s New Orleans and Chef John Besh’s Family Table. In 2011, he founded the John Besh Foundation, which works to protect and preserve the culinary heritage and foodways of New Orleans via initiatives such as the Chefs Move! culinary school scholarship and “Milk Money” microloans for local farmers.
In addition to Wölffer Estate Vineyard as the host venue, exclusive Champagne from Champagne Barons de Rothschild, VIP after-party sponsor Neuman’s Kitchen, Events & Catering, 2016 event sponsors included Antigua and Barbuda; Audi; Badoit® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water; evian® Natural Spring Water; Goose Island Beer Company; Gokokuya; Hamptons magazine; Maille; Melissa’s; Royal Cup Coffee and Tea; Sturia Caviar; Tito’s Handmade Vodka; VerTerra Dinnerware; and VVH-TV.
Founded in 1986, the James Beard Foundation celebrates, nurtures, and honors America's diverse culinary heritage through programs that educate and inspire. A cookbook author and teacher with an encyclopedic knowledge about food, the late James Beard was a champion of American cuisine. He helped educate and mentor generations of professional chefs and food enthusiasts, instilling in them the value of wholesome, healthful, and delicious food. Today JBF continues in the same spirit by administering a number of diverse programs that include educational initiatives, food industry awards, scholarships for culinary students, publications, chef advocacy training, and thought-leader convening. The Foundation also maintains the historic James Beard House in New York City’s Greenwich Village as a “performance space” for visiting chefs. For more information, please visit jamesbeard.org. Get food news, recipes, and more at the James Beard Foundation’s blog, or subscribe to the free digital newsletter Beard Bites. Follow the James Beard Foundation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Livestream.
Who You May Spot: John Besh; Among the chefs who have signed on thus far: Baker Alex Bois, Pastry Chef Sam Kincaid, and Jon Nodler, High Street on Hudson, NYC; Chad Brauze, The Back Room, Park Hyatt, NYC; Chris Cipollone, Piora, NYC; Jay Ducote, Baton Rouge, LA; Aaron Fitterman, Aretsky’s Patroon,NYC; Jeremy Ford, Matador Room, Miami Beach, FL; Eric Gabrynowicz, Restaurant North, Armonk, NY; Kerry Heffernan, Grand Banks,NYC; Paul Kahan, One Off Hospitality Group, Chicago; Matthew Kenney, 00+Co, NYC, and Plant Food + Wine, Miami and Venice, CA;Anthony Lamas, Seviche, A Latin Restaurant, Louisville, KY; Karl Ljung, Hillenberg, Stockholm, Sweden; Anita Lo, Annisa, NYC; Angie Mar, Beatrice Inn, NYC; Pastry Chef Alina Martell, Ai Fiori and Vaucluse, NYC; Lucero Martinez, Pampano, NYC; Dean James Max, DJM Restaurants, Multiple Cities, USA, and Cayman Islands, BWI, and Harbor Island, Bahamas; Julian Medina, Tacuba and Toloache, NYC; Jonah Miller, Huertas, NYC; Damian O’Donnell, Harbor Bistro, East Hampton, NY; Ralph Perrazzo, BBD's - Beers, Burgers, Desserts, Rocky Point, NY; Guy Reuge, Mirabelle, Stony Brook, NY, and Sandbar, Cold Spring Harbor, NY; Roxanne Spruance, Kingsley, NYC; Pastry Chef Sherry Yard, iPic Entertainment.
Hint For The Average Socialite: The Chefs & Champagne main event will take place from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Saturday, July 23, and is open to the public—reservations are $200 for James Beard Foundation members and $275 for non members. General admission includes all tastings, silent auction bidding opportunities, and a gift bag. VIP premium admission, beginning at 5:00 pm, is $375 for James Beard Foundation members and non members. VIP tables of 10 are available for $4,000. The VIP experience includes an additional exclusive reception hour with early access to all tastings, reserved table seating, advanced silent auction preview, gift bag and access to the VIP after-party. Reservations can be made by calling (212) 627-2308 or at jamesbeard.org/chefsandchampagne. To become a member of the James Beard Foundation, click here.